Are you a mess? I’m a mess! Do you love your mess as much as I love mine??
I wondered where people stood on this topic as I contemplated the statement, “You’re a wonderful mess.” The mere juxtaposition of the words wonderful and mess conjures a sense of: “It’s okay. Yes, I’m a mess, but it’s wonderful, because I’m wonderful, just the way I am – – with whatever mess I happen to be carrying around.”
That’s the way I see it.
We all have our stuff. Our emotional stuff, our physical stuff, and aye-yai-yai – our stuff with our mothers! It all makes up the mess that is us.
Here are just a few examples of my messes:
- I prefer to eat standing up
- I talk to and carry on with my dog to the point of being obnoxious, and it’s apparently quite uncontrollable on my part
- I find it difficult to work at my desk with any sort of clutter on it (although I can place it directly behind me while I write, just as long as I don’t see it in front of me or in my peripheral vision)
- Half the time I think I’m a doctor, yet I refuse to take medication
- Until about two years ago, I couldn’t wear sunglasses and hear at the same time. It’s very embarrassing, but true. I had to practice for years before I was able to master it. Yet still, to this day, my sunglasses can’t be very dark, otherwise I lose significant hearing.
There are many more examples, some more on the normal side, others no doubt twisted. The point is, we all have them. I am a Wonderful Mess. Yes, You are a Wonderful Mess too. The question is, do you see your mess as wonderful? Do you embrace it?
Wherever you are on the spectrum between loathing/denial and embracing/accepting your mess, are you willing to share with us? Maybe just one? ….in the name of being Real and showing up for yourself?